Our client is a global leader in the development and management of solar energy projects. By joining their team, you will ‘be the change’ on the world’s energy transition to a more sustainable future. The company prides themselves on their entrepreneurial spirit as they continue to push the boundaries of an ever-changing energy landscape.
The Senior Director, Transmission & Interconnection will manage wholesale grid interconnections required by company projects in the United States. This position will ensure these projects are delivered in a timely and cost-effective manner and ensure that the connection is managed during the development through to the construction process, with primary attention paid to economic, financial and regulatory issues related to transmission ton both a national and regional bases.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead, direct and manage the Transmission Service group.
- Coordinate and work with the regional transmission personnel in development who handle project interconnection.
- Manage transmission related special projects such as curtailment and congestion studies and other special transmission projects
- Continue to develop, lead and direct the company’s transmission related Regional Transmission Organization (“RTO”) strategy
- Serve as subject matter expert with broad expertise and unique knowledge applicable to regional transmission operations and markets, structures and pricing as required by off take agreement for Projects, RFPs or hedges
- Participate in hiring and budgeting decisions
- Interact with regional interconnection specialists in development to tighten coordination on interconnection and interconnection related transmission issues. Provide support and guidance where necessary
- Works with the regions on evaluating transmission position and, if required, purchasing transmission
- If necessary, supervisor and manage the PROMOD team and help prioritize the job list
- Conducts and supervises market research, power flow or other studies related to curtailment and congestions impacts on projects
- Opine on and guide the company’s policy on project and RTO specific transmission losses and curtailment levels
- Works with the regions to understand financial impacts on interconnection and transmission project positions as they may be affected by rules, tariffs, or physical constraints
- May direct internal reports depending on the size and growth of the Transmission Services group.
- Provide assistance during project development by identifying factors influencing and influenced by the interconnection environment in target markets, subject to experience
- Manage and be responsible for the submission of interconnection applications that include all relevant information required by the different grid operators, ensure they are submitted in a timely manner and they progress through the interconnection processes without delay
- Manage the review process for interconnection study results to ensure they meet company requirements and represent the minimum scheme required
- Play a strategic role in the development of standardized arrangements for interconnections that reduce installation time and cost while maintaining or improving plant throughput and safety
- In a proactive manner, support project managers with technical assistance through the life of the project, subject to previous experience and training
- Introduce and maintain departmental procedures to support grid interconnection application, grid capacity checks and grid connection assessment
- Formalize a standardized response sheet to common risk items as identified by Investor and Technical Advisor alike
- Represent your specialty area at relevant Development Meetings and Delivery Meetings as required
- Represent your specialty at relevant third-party stakeholder events as required
- Attend company sites and third-party premises as required
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- Strong technical knowledge of distribution and transmission grids and of FERC processes and procedures for interconnection
- Strong knowledge of equipment options for meeting operational requirements related to voltage control, power factor and other operational metrics
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics or quantitative degree strongly preferred. Environmental Studies, or related discipline, or equivalent experience. A master’s degree in Finance, Electrical Engineering, Business Economics, or Computer Sciences is preferred
- Commercially astute
- Good network of contacts across various grid operators in the U.S.
- Ability and willingness to travel 50-60%
- 8-12 years’ experience managing transmission and interconnections
- Previous experience working with a renewable or brown power IPP is
- strongly preferred, and experience with intermittent resources such as
- wind-energy or solar resources or employment by or with energy marketing entities is especially preferred but not required.
- Strong consideration for experience working with RTO’s and or FERC on regulatory and market issues related to transmission.
- Previous experience in the design/ construction and operation of PV solar plant
- Experienced at negotiating the legal and commercial aspects of connection contracts
- MS Office experience with strong Excel, PowerPoint and Word skills
- Experience working with PROMOD or Plexos, Tableau, MATLAP, MYSQL and coding experience in Python, R or other coding languages
- Business acumen
- Strong analytical skills
- Strategic thinking abilities
- Organizational behavior
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interact with all levels of staff throughout the organization, and unaffiliated third parties
- Strong time management skills and strong attention to detail with a history of managing multiple project sites simultaneously
- Ability to influence
- Team player and self-starter
- Interpersonal skills a must
This company is a place where you can be yourself and grow; a place where your ideas and opinions matter. The company prides themselves on being an inclusive community, where every individual is valued and treated with respect. Company culture is driven by core values. From operating safely to ensuring solar projects are responsible and promote biodiversity. Alongside a competitive salary, our client offers a variety of benefits including annual bonus, retention bank, health insurance, pension and other local benefits. Beyond your day-to-day working life at the company, there’s a variety of initiatives that will contribute to your own personal development. Initiatives to get involved with including charitable causes and sustainability initiatives.