Our client’s objective is to enable large businesses and institutions to achieve their sustainability goals by addressing the environmental footprint of their energy and water consumption. The Market Development team is focused on enabling the company to grow its impact by generating client opportunities for its energy and water advisory services. Reporting to the Head of Marketing and working closely with the Business Development Team and Senior Leadership, the Market Development Associate is a highly empowered team member that works diligently and independently to identify and establish client relationships.
As a Market Development Associate, you will lead a set of reinforcing workstreams ranging from market research, to client marketing and pipeline development, client coordination, and reporting. You will develop corporate sustainability, renewable energy and water resiliency know-how, problem solving and communication skills, as well as the ability to use technical and economic models that support client decision-making.
Impact for this role will be evaluated via company’s personal development framework, which includes a set of qualitative development areas, and key performance indicators focused on prospecting, networking, client data qualification, readership metrics (web/social media), number of client meetings generated, and overall contribution to securing Professional Services Agreements with new clients.
Our client is proud of its open, inclusive, challenging, and fun workplace culture, which enables them to deliver highly impactful client services. We offer an attractive personal development experience, in a highly skilled, energized, diverse, and empowered team environment. Our compensation package is competitive in the consulting industry and this position provides the opportunity for long-term career development and growth within the organization.
Our client believes that diversity, equity, and inclusion help foster a passionate, capable, and fun team—and these are important drivers of their core value to ‘be the best team.’ In line with core values, the company proudly embraces all people regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, veteran status or disability.
Duties and Responsibilities Examples
Reporting and performance tracking
o Track progress on identifying new client opportunities and mapping client contact points
o Manage client pipeline reporting (multiple milestones, from initial identification to contract close)
o Measure progress and effectiveness of client outreach programs (social media, e-newsletter, website, events)
Client opportunity identification and pipeline development
o Generate and maintain universe of client prospects:
▪ Identify and harvest new client data sources
▪ Monitor industry media channels to identify new opportunities
▪ Define and maintain client target segments
o Identify, qualify and prioritize target client prospects:
▪ Leverage research and outreach to winnow most attractive client opportunities
▪ Maintain and update prioritization over time
▪ Identify relevant client contact points to engage
o Cultivate and establish relationships with target client opportunities:
▪ Design and lead consistent engagement program with target client contact points (phone, e-newsletter, LinkedIn groups, website, events, referrals)
▪ Capture intelligence gleaned from client touchpoints to drive further engagement
Market research and content creation
o Research and create value-add content to support individual client outreach, e-newsletter and LinkedIn posts
▪ Track and file 3rd party content (news articles, b/vlog posts, webinars, research papers)
▪ Work with client service teams (CSTs) to generate company thought leadership content (b/vlog posts, webinars, research papers)
o Track and share competitive intelligence and developer updates, key industry trends
Client coordination (throughout client sales cycle):
o Manage client correspondence and meeting coordination
o Lead meeting content preparation based on prior research and intelligence gleaned from outreach
o Support selection of internal team; ensure teams are briefed/equipped for client meetings
o Support proposal/RFP writing
o Assist with development of company marketing collateral
o Assist with company website maintenance
o Lead conference selection, planning and objective setting
o Manage pre-conference attendee and speaker outreach, and post conference outreach and report out
Knowledge, Qualifications, and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree with excellent grades from a challenging undergraduate program
• Three or more years of business development experience engaging with Fortune 500, higher ed institutions
• Passion for sustainability, the energy industry and/or renewables
• Strong sense of ownership/self-motivation; professional and organized with an ability to deliver on tight deadlines in an agile, growth-focused environment
• Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team in an unstructured and flexible environment
• Strong interpersonal skills with individuals ranging from varied experience levels and backgrounds
• Strong oral and written communication skills; able to communicate complex matter in a simple, concise manner
• Strong and creative problem-solving skills, and comfort completing complex quantitative and qualitative analyses
• Ability to learn quickly, even in areas with limited experience or knowledge
• Honest and fun!