Our client is seeking a hardworking person with a passion to learn, grow, and source deal flow as a Managing Director, Origination (MD). The MD will be responsible for business development, supporting the growth of the company’s lending and investment platform for renewable energy infrastructure projects in the U.S. with a focus on solar and battery storage technologies.
You will report to the CEO and work closely with the Senior Management team and Associate Directors. You will have a business development background, and you might be self-described as a “deal junkie”. As a qualified candidate, you will have experience and familiarity with origination and negotiation, deal structuring, underwriting and execution associated with debt and/or equity investments.
The primary purpose of this position is to identify and originate development capital, venture debt, construction equity, and bridge lending opportunities for the company. In addition to direct outreach, activities may include working with relevant market participants, including permanent equity and debt providers, proposal development, and participation in RFP’s or similar processes. The MD team works in a fast-paced environment focused on execution of project finance transactions for projects across the continental US and Canada. You will work closely with the underwriting team throughout the deal closing process and the Asset Management team on post-closing processes, building upon ongoing relationships with developers, negotiating deals and making commercial decisions.
- Originate development and early-stage lending opportunities for renewable energy projects
- Prospecting and running campaigns to position the company’s products in key target markets
- Develop and manage relationships with developers, banks, equity/debt providers, engineering firms and other deal flow
- Negotiate terms and work with Project Finance team to prepare Term Sheets for investment opportunities
- Present deals to management and advocate for risk and return propositions
- Provide creative solutions for the design and implementation of new loan and equity products for the renewable energy market
- Support the underwriting team to maintain focus on most significant risks for each investment
- Work closely with the technical and asset management teams to support due diligence and ongoing loan compliance
- Utilize internal tools to manage clients and develop new relationships
- Maintain industry knowledge and collaborate with internal and external resources and technical experts
- Report to the CEO and collaborate with the MD team who will support your transition into this role and the company
Knowledge, Qualifications, and Experience
- Extensive experience in solar, wind, or storage finance, project development, and/or principal investing
- Motivated by unlimited incentive compensation
- Demonstrated history in negotiating and closing complex investment transactions
- Undergraduate degree required
- Large network in the renewable energy industry
- Strong command over financial models for renewable energy projects with emphasis on an understanding of development stage financing and milestone budgets
- Demonstrated understanding of financial structuring, including debt and equity project structures
- Strategic thinker with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Value add toolkit, or expertise in offtake, advisory, capital markets, or similar
- Effective communicator across all internal and external stakeholders including investors, bankers, counsel, senior management as well as internal teams
- Collaborator who can manage multiple priorities and quickly adapt to rapidly changing deal and development demands, including setting and meeting realistic deadlines
- High degree of curiosity, creativity, proactive mentality, and desire to work in entrepreneurial and collaborative environment and join their mission to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
Our client provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, they comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has offices. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.