Our client represents over many solar and energy storage developers, engineers, installers, financiers, law firms, and nonprofits in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia. Our client seeks an Executive Director (ED) to help lead the local industry to address market barriers in the region.
The ED’s primary responsibilities will be to administer the daily functions of the organization, including managing membership and staff of the association, leading policy and regulatory initiatives, and organizing its annual member conference. This is an exciting opportunity to join one of the largest clean energy industry associations in the nation, and interface with large national and small local firms alike.
Our client currently employs one full-time policy and communications associate, two contract lobbyists, and contractors to support accounting and conference planning.
- Develop short-term and long-term strategy to effectively execute the board’s vision
- Develop our client’s annual budget and manage budget to actuals throughout the year
- Plan and implement legislative and regulatory initiatives with the support of our client’s members, staff and contract lobbyists.
- Represent the solar and storage industry to key stakeholders in the region, including public officials, utilities, nonprofit organizations, reporters, and other interested parties
- Manage and provide direction on membership management/dues collection, new membership, and membership retention
- Manage our client’s reporting and filings
- Plan and manage our client’s annual member conference, with the goal of maximizing attendance, member value, sponsorships, and industry presence in Richmond
- Serve as a direct supervisor to the Policy & Public Affairs Associate, and manage relationships with our client’s contract lobbyists and contractors
- Enrich and grow their membership base through policy, communications, and regulatory initiatives
- Work with State Policy Committee Chairs to manage association priorities, work groups, and policy campaigns
- Advance their goals of bolstering diversity, equity and inclusion across the regional industry as a strategic imperative
- Manage our client’s 501(c)3 affiliate by identifying opportunities for engagement and working with grantmakers to fund their affiliate’s work in the region
- Serve as representative of the Association to the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) and its state affiliates.
Knowledge, Qualifications, and Experience
- The ED must live in Virginia, Maryland, or Washington DC and have a valid driver’s license.
- Experience with organizational management or energy policy is preferred but not required.