The Director of Sustainability will develop an integrated land management program across the solar portfolio to promote successful vegetation installations that align with sustainable agriculture and overall biodiversity. This role will work cross-functionally within the organization to ensure quality and consistency from initial site screening, development, construction, and asset management. Additionally, this role requires strong coordination with Environmental Affairs to incorporate biodiversity and overall sustainability, Construction to drive cost efficiencies and successful ground disturbance activities, and Asset Management to ensure long term success.
- Develop and apply a programmatic approach to progressive and responsible land management best practices and strategies compatible with development, construction, and operation of solar energy facilities across the portfolio.
- Coordinate with construction teams to create site specific integrated land management plans that consider soil preparation and management, maintaining, treating or removing existing vegetation, practices for timing and methodology of seed placement in efficient and cost effective methods.
- Align land management plans with best available research and company priorities on Agrivoltaics and other environmental co-benefits such as improving soil health, sequestering carbon, increasing biodiversity, and improving the overall ecosystem services.
- Coordinate with operations teams to create long term maintenance plans for successful vegetation establishments. Engage with external stakeholders such as environmental NGOs, municipalities and regulatory agencies that may drive the approach to vegetation management and biodiversity goals.
- Partner with landowners and communities to understand and implement approaches that mutually benefit solar projects and overall land stewardship goals.
Knowledge, Qualifications, and Experience
- Applicant will possess substantial experience with solar development, construction and operations, as well as agricultural and land management expertise.
- Excellent technical, project management and communication skills to manage internal and external stakeholder engagement as well as the development of land management programs.
- Strong written and verbal skills are critical for report writing and liaising with multiple internal and external parties.
- 8+ years experience in agriculture and/or livestock; farming, farm management or ownership, operations and logistics preferred
- 8+ years experience in renewable energy development preferred combined with agricultural experience
- Knowledge of techniques and equipment and logistics for planting, growing, and harvesting (both plant and animal)
- Bachelor’s degree is required, preferred in technical or environmental related specialization.