The Development Director in PJM will be responsible for leading activities related to the development of solar and wind projects in this region. Work will include prospecting for wind and solar sites and due diligence to support M&A, negotiating land agreements, acquiring local, state and federal permits and approvals, completing local and state tax agreements, real estate surveys and title work, and performing other development work to support project financing. The position requires working extensively with internal subject matter experts to support origination, legal, interconnection, wind resources, environmental and permitting, construction planning, government affairs, engineering and finance activities throughout the development lifecycle. You will assist the Chief Development Officer to update the company’s PJM market plans.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with senior management to achieve the market plan by evaluating project pipeline, assessing project viability / economics and providing guidance to internal and external members of the development team.
- Coordinate with our environmental / permitting team for permitting requirements such as wildlife and impact studies. Manage outside consultants’ budgets and scope, work with local and state permitting agencies to ensure compliance with permitting requirements.
- Meet with landowners, and community stakeholders to establish a positive, long-term relationship with host communities.
- Work with wind and solar resources teams to install data gathering equipment and perform a thorough site assessment for wind and solar energy projects. This includes collection of wind and solar data, project layouts, geographical analysis and turbine design recommendations.
- Assist origination team with analyzing off-take, developing revenue plans and submissions to corporate, utilities and municipal requests for proposals.
- Work with the financial and commercial team to create and manage the financial project model. Lead and assist in any sales origination, negotiation and execution of the PPA.
- Partner with the engineering and construction teams to assist in project scoping, budgeting and management.
- Ensure project milestones are met through the development process. This includes compiling and organizing data for presentation to the investment committee to assess development risk versus spending at various stages of the project’s life.
- Continue to build the project pipeline and manage multiple projects.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum of 5 years managing multiple development projects in a planning, environmental, legal, finance or engineering capacity. 5 – 7 years of experience preferred. Projects should be in renewable energy development.
- College degree required.
- Possess subject matter expertise in a business function related to the development process.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong negotiation and presentation skills.
- Ability to create forms, letters and fundamental spreadsheets using MS Word and Excel. Ability to create presentations in PowerPoint. Ability to perform internet-based research.
- Self-motivated with ability to work in a team and independently.
- Safe driving record, valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to walk over undeveloped land unassisted, travel unassisted and sit at a computer for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends to attend meetings and community events. 30-50% travel in region will be required during business hours in support of the position responsibilities.
- Experience developing solar projects from early stage through financial closing and construction in the PJM transmission territory is preferred.
- Experience leading or managing others.
- Graduate degree.
- Financial analysis and budgeting skills, formal project management training and skills or policy analysis experience.
Characteristics Necessary for Success
- A focus on creating value.
- Ability to collaborate and create support for development projects both inside and outside the company.
- Comfortable with fast paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to make informed decisions quickly and a bias for action.
- Passionate and enthusiastic about alternative energy.
- Self-starter with desire to succeed.
- Integrity and accountability.